Working in Japan

Japan has legally-defined labor rules to guarantee that workers have fair working conditions.

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Working Conditions Handbook

14 languages

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare “Pamphlet for Foreign Nationals Wishing to Work in Japan”

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Labour Laws you need to be aware of

Check the “Status of Residence” on your residence card

①“Permanent Resident” “Spouse or child of Japanese National” “Spouse or child of Permanent Resident” “Long-term Resident”

  • You are permitted to work without restriction.

②“Cultural Activities” “Temporary Visitor” “Student” “Trainee” “Dependent”

  • You are not permitted to work. If you wish to work, you need to apply for “permission to engage in activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted” at the Immigration Services Agency.
  • The permission specifies the job and working hours you can engage in.

③ Other than ① and ②

  • Your “status of residence” specifies the job you can engage in.
  • If you wish to engage in other job, you need to receive “permission to engage in activity other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted.”

Looking for a job

Hello Work

Employment Service for Foreigners

Foreigners with a student status or status of residence in specialized or technical fields who wish to work in a Japanese company can receive employment support.

List of Employment Service Centers for Foreigners (Japanese)

Use job posting websites or employment agencies

Apply directly from the company website, etc

Ask your school to refer you for a job (in case of international students)

Contract of employment

You will sign an employment contract with your employer. Make sure to check the contents carefully before signing a contract.

Terms and conditions that need to be specified in an Employment contract

  • Contract start and end dates
  • Possibility or not of renewal after the end of the contract
  • Place of work and job description
  • Working hours, holidays, etc.
  • Amount and payment method of wages
  • Resignation and dismissal procedures

Matters that should not be incorporated in an Employment contract. (If a company incorporates these matters in the contract, the company cannot make a contract with you.)

  • Giving you a penalty charge if you violate the employment contract
  • Your company lending you money and deducting your monthly salary as repayment
  • Your company deducting fees for company trip, dormitories, and other expenses from your monthly salary without consulting you

Minimum Wage

  • This is the minimum amount of wages you must receive when you work for an hour. The amount varies depending on the prefecture.
  • Companies must pay every employee a wage that is higher than the minimum wage.
  • The minimum wage in Ibaraki Prefecture is 879 Japanese yen per hour since October 1, 2021.
    ※The minimum wage changes every year, so please check the Ibaraki Labour Bureau website (Japanese).

    Ibaraki Labour Bureau (Japanese)

  • You can check the minimum wage of all prefectures in Japan

    Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Minimum Wage (Japanese)

Health and security

Health checkups

  • Check your body’s condition once a year with “health checkups.”
  • Check your mental condition once a year with “stress checks.” Doctors will treat people whose “health checkup” or “stress check” results found health problems, or those who frequently work overtime and are suffering from fatigue. They might ask you to reduce overtime or change your job if necessary.

Injuries or illness due to work

If workers are injured, get an illness, or die due to their work, they are compensated by the “Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance” of their companies. It also covers injuries due to accident, etc. incurred while commuting between work and home.

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Brochure about Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance for foreign workers (14 languages)

Getting advice about working in Japan

If you have problems or concerns regarding your work, you can consult the following places.

Ibaraki Foreign Worker Support Center(Except for those undergoing technical intern training, looking for a part-time job, and applying for refugee status)


Ibaraki International Association (I.I.A) Consultation Center for Foreigners


Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: Counseling Services and Hotlines in Foreign Languages
Ibaraki Labour Bureau Foreign Workers Consultation Corner (Consultation concerning working conditions in Japan)

TEL 029-224-6214

Ibaraki Labour General Government Building 6F, 1-8-31 Miyamachi, Mito-shi, 310-8511

Consultation dates
(Closed on public holidays)
Monday(except the fifth week)
Tuesday(first and second weeks)
Thursday(except the fifth week)
Monday(first and second weeks)
Consultation time
(Lunch break)

※Available consultation dates might change, so please call the office before visiting.

Consultation for Technical Intern Trainees: OTIT Organization for Technical Intern Training